Saturday, March 19, 2011

Whole Foods—Pig in lipstick not tested on animals

After a quick trip to David's Bridal with my gals in my wedding party, we headed over to the Whole Foods in Plymouth Meeting to finally check out what all the hubbub was about their Cold Point Pub.

I am not quite sure when dining at the grocery store originated. Quite frankly, when I grew up in the 80s and 90s, we looked down on people popping grapes off displays and heaven forbid if you actually opened packaging! People crunching on potato chips halfway through the store would send my mother into a tizzy and later me, too. To eat and shop was not only dirty and germy, but flat out uncouth in our camp. I chalked it up mostly to the fact that these people were stealing or about to attempt theft. I mean, were these people actually going to hand the high school student clerk an empty bag of Fritos and say, "They were so good, I couldn't wait. But dang, I'll pay for them now."? Really? I mean really? Not at the Norristown Genuardi's, that's fo' sho'.

Nowadays, eating at the grocery store is more than just a la mode. It's common place across the hierarchy of food chains. What was once the deli sample tray with cheese and pepperoni cubes stabbed with red and green cellophane tipped toothpicks, so nobody fondled all the cubes and so you didn't get your greasy fingers all over their doily-clad display, has graduated into a full on gluttonous smorgasborg aisles long and wide like the many asses loading up for what seems like a cheap meal. And forget germy. Dirty - heresy. The stores have outfitted every nook and cranny with antibacterial gel, wipes, and spritz. Tongs are chained to kiosks so you best not pinch anything even just a nibble. No more fishing pickles out of a barrels with your hairy arms, fellas and Pittsburgian ladies, even these are individually prepackaged.

From your local suburban GIANT and ACME on up to Whole Foods and Wegmans, the simple palate to the refined can dine in or takeaway comfort foods like fried chicken and mac n' cheese to more health conscience choices like wild caught grilled salmon and locally grown organic mixed field greens with chevre ... mostly all priced by the pound. It's an easy way to grab a bite and shop. It's also an easy way to spend like you're hitting up Buddakan for your anniversary. Cue the alcohol. Booze, you're on in 5, 4, 3...

So, all the hubbub we heard about the Whole Foods Cold Point Cafe involved not only their delectable menu of organic, wild caught, free range, tasty in-store prepared pub fare like Pizza Margherita (review of that separately), Sweet Potato Fries (way better than Chaps) and Bison Burgers (way better than Trader Joes), but local and global libations on tap for the tasting or full onslaught of consumption.

If you would like wine, you must pay for and load funds to a checkpoint card in advance. They showcase 15+ different wines that are segmented into what I remember to be Old World (European), Southern Hemisphere (mostly South African, Chilean and Australian), and American (sorry, nothing from Chaddsford here). Pour sizes are 1 oz., 3 oz., 6 oz. and prices vary per bottle. I was up first to get the demo of the system from the tattooed gent manning the beer drafts; you have to pay for beer by the glass and the attendant serves you  it and information about the crafting process. Nifty. Back to the wine - I felt like a kid in a candy store.

A mixed chenin and something was my first tasting at a 1 oz. pour. Why break the bank, I thought. That was certainly just enough for a tasting and $1.00 for that wine. I chose various 1-3 oz. pours, whereas the girls found what they liked and got bigger pours. The food came. The pizza was hot, plenty of a tangy sauce, just the right touch of basil, enough fresh melted mozzarella on a slice, but that sucka was doughy. Everybody was happy...eating and wine tasting at the grocery store. Napa - eat your heart out.

Whole Foods' major competitor for their cafe/pub is Wegmans. Wegmans offers what seems like an unending array of beer for individual purchase and on site consumption with takeaway meals. Where it lacks is wine. However, Wegmans' Pub offers more of a dining experience and they offer a limited assortment of wine by the glass on the Pub menu, but you must wait to be served - no quick kiosks available - therefore not as relaxed as Whole Foods. Both offer cases for purchase of beer. So, it's your call.

The visit was going splendidly, until after I decided to do my grocery shopping before leaving. I got to the register and realized I had forgotten half of the shit I needed and the total was close to exceeding my usual weekly budget. I didn't even have lunch meat! The clerk asked me if I wanted to round up my purchase and donate it to charity. "Fine," I said still in a good mood. What's 45 cents? Still bagging, he asked me if I wanted to donate a $1 to charity. Thinking of all of those people in Japan, I agree. "Yes, ok." He continues to say that since I brought my own bags, I can either have a credit applied to my purchase total or donate that to charity. At this point, the entire ruse was apparent and I had it no matter how much Rhodiola and Saint John's Wort I've popped. All I saw was a free range pig in lipstick not tested on animals.

Overall the cafe/pub experience was great, but stick to your tried and true local market for staples. Luckily Trader Joe's was on my way home where I picked up Applegate Farms lunch meats for dollars less than Whole Foods and sliced Fontina and a plethora of tapenades that Whole Foods did not carry.

Emmental out.

WHOLE FOODS >>
Wegmans >>
Trader Joe's

2 comments: