Friday, March 25, 2011

Time for a Random List: Ten Best Songs by David Bowie

Recently, a friend sent me an e-mail about a new "lost" album by David Bowie. Evidently, it was recorded a decade ago, but never got a proper release. It has been leaked to the Internet in the last few weeks. To make a long story short, this friend had been told it was Bowie's best album since 1977's Low, but he found much to his chagrin that it wasn't. It was instead...kind of shite. Anyway, during the course of this e-mail chain, this friend mentioned how fun and challenging it would be to figure out the ten best songs by David Bowie. I guess I could have told him my opinion while we were e-mailing, but then how would this help the traffic on our site? So here it is: a shameless ploy to get one person to check out this site, the top ten songs by David Bowie.

10. "Be My Wife" (Low, 1977)



9. "I'm Deranged" (Lost Highway Original Soundtrack, 1997)



This isn't actually the song I am talking about! This is! The featured one is the reprise of the song I am talking about, which comes at the end of the album. I would replace the video, but my laptop is on life support.

8. "The Secret Life of Arabia" ("Heroes", 1977)



7. "China Girl" (Let's Dance, 1983)



6. "Fame" (Young Americans, 1975)



5. "Suffragette City" (The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, 1972)



4. "Young Americans" (Young Americans, 1975)



3. "Cat People (Putting Out Fire)"



Supposedly, the version on Let's Dance is different, but the version I am talking about is the one that appeared in the 2009 Quentin Tarantino film, Inglourious Bastards...just so we are clear.

2. "Golden Years" (Station to Station, 1976)



1. ""Heroes"" ("Heroes", 1977)



You are probably asking why I snubbed "Under Pressure." While great, this is not technically a song by David Bowie as it appeared on Queen's 1982 album Hot Space. Then again, you may simply be asking when this post will conclude. That answer would be...now.

No comments:

Post a Comment