Sunday, October 2, 2011

Ten Thoughts from Watching the Phillies Game Last Night

1. It doesn't matter if you are Roy Halladay: If you throw a meatball right down the middle of the plate in the playoffs, it is going to be deposited very, very, very deep in the seats.

2. This being said, if a player on the opposing squad is going to crank an epic three-run dinger, it is nice if a) said bomb takes place in the first inning and b) you have Roy Halladay on the mound for the rest of the game. Apart from the stray F-bomb, it was pretty clear that Halladay wasn't rattled at all.

3. What's the best way to put the memory of last year's bat-left-on-the-shoulder moment behind you? If you are Ryan Howard, putting a Kyle Lohse offering into the second deck might just do the trick.

4. Remember when we were wondering what happened to Chase Utley? Five at-bats, three hits, two doubles, three runs scored sound about right? Seriously, can you blame Chase Utley for not being able to get up for meaningless games against the Nationals? I think it is safe to say that the Beast is now unleashed for the postseason.

5. I won't lie: I was very nervous after Halladay gave up those three runs in the first inning. This just proves how stupid I am.

6. When Ibanez popped up to end a possible rally in the bottom of the first inning, I caught myself thinking about why he is even in the lineup. "John Mayberry should have had that spot three months ago! Here comes another October swoon for Rauuuuuuuuuuuuul." Then he launches a two-run homer. Remember that part like 75 words ago when I called myself an idiot? Refer to that.

7. If the Phillies find themselves having to rely on Michael Stutes for anything during this postseason, they are FIZZNUCKED!!! Might want to get David Herndon on the roster for the second round.

8. I predicted that this series would go five games. I wish I could change that. With Chris Carpenter pitching on three days rest against Cliff Lee tonight, I'm putting this one in the bag. If the Cardinals go home down 2-0, there is no way to make it back to Philly. Not with Jake Westbrook most likely going in Game 4.

9. I have on deck for tonight's game: Victory Festbier, Rogue Dead Guy, and Bell's Pale Ale. I am almost as excited about this as I am Lee's sure no-hitter.

10. Only Tony La Russa would make a defensive replacement in the seventh inning (?) of a game that his team is trailing 9-3. That's right: Daniel Descalso checking in for David Freese at that moment was just the momentum turner the Redbirds were looking for!

No comments:

Post a Comment