Friday, June 24, 2011

King of the Case: Smuttynose Brewing Company

Wherein I will buy a variety case and decide what the best beer in it is.

Smuttynose IPA
A crisp, hoppy offering with a fine finish. One of the best IPAs outside of the West Coast elite.

Robust Porter
I'm not a huge fan of porter beers, so I was a little disappointed when I found out that this was the "Brewer's Selection" on this particular occasion (no summer beer?). But the thing was pretty smooth despite its distinctive coffee flavor. I don't drink coffee and would rather my beer did not taste like it.


Shoals Pale Ale
A pleasantly hopped beverage with a vibrant aroma upon first sip! Very impressive with a unique flavor. I'd had it before, and it was better than I remembered.

Old Brown Dog Ale
Probably the least distinctive offering in the case. All things considered, I'd rather have a Newcastle.

The Labels
When drinking a bottled beer, looking at the label is half the fun. Of the four labels, I would have to go with the Smuttynose IPA by a hair over the Shoals Pale Ale. There is something very fun about the picture of two codgers getting their drink on in front of their trailer, although the Shoals Pale Ale's photo of a house on Smuttynose Island is quite beautiful in its composition. Major dap for the Tom Hooper-esque extra headroom framing!
Final Verdict
Can't believe I am saying this since Smuttynose IPA is one of my favorite beers, but I am giving the nod to the Shoals Pale Ale. Perhaps I am too used to the IPA's brilliance. But on this night, the Pale Ale made quite the impression. A deliciously striking, majestic masterpiece! Overall, fine work by the Portsmouth, New Hampshire brewery.

No comments:

Post a Comment