Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Freezer Case: Trader Joe's Organic Woodfired Sicilian Style Pizza

With a work call scheduled for 7 and my hubby getting home at 6:15, I was short on time to cook dinner tonight. So I threw in a frozen pie and quickly whipped up a side of spinach, bacon, garlic and pre-cooked lentils (also from Trader Joe's, those bad boys are a fridge must-have for cooking a healthy side dish in a snap).

During my last shopping trip, I noticed a new pizza in the frozen aisle. We generally enjoy their pies (minus the occasional not-enough-sauce complaint from the hubby), so I felt compelled to give it a try. In all reality, it is possible that Trader Joe's did have this pie in stock for a while and the nibble had already consumed all of his diaper bag snacks by the time we made it to that section, which means I just throw in as many items as I can before his sweet sounds are drowning out the nice Hawaiian-shirted man on the intercom inviting us to sample their spicy beef and broccoli.


The pie was fantastic! It not only had a perfect balance of flavorful sauce, tangy red peppers, and provolone and pearl mozzarella cheese, but was accompanied by a packet of organic red pepper olive oil to be drizzled on the pie halfway through baking. In my rush to get dinner on the table and something in my stomach before my call, I missed the fact that the oil was spicy and used the entire packet, but fortunately all three of us like to spice it up, even the nibble.

One of my biggest beefs with frozen pies is typically the crust - it's either so thin that it is basically nonexistent or so doughy I could choke on it. This was neither. It may have been the best crust I've ever had on a frozen.

So I know we'll be having it again and definitely recommend it to any Trader Joe's shoppers out there. Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment