Friday, February 10, 2012

The Freezer Case: Whole Foods Fresh from Our Kitchen (Homemade)

Are you someone who loves cheese on your pizza? If so, this pizza from Whole Foods Plymouth Meeting is for you. I, on the other hand, am a person who likes sauce on my pizza. This isn't the pizza for me.

Let me get some positives out of the way early: The crust has a very nice texture. It's firm and floury with a crunchy cornmeal feel. They do something interesting with the pepperoni as well. Rather than cut it up into a bunch of pieces, they layer about five or six large pieces on the pie. I'm sure people can go either way with this, but I preferred it to the Wegman's school of pepperoni application, which is to cover every inch of the pie with the thin meat circles. It should also be said that the pepperoni's taste really stood out. It was both smoky and spicy. Finally, the wife liked the taste of the cheese. And that's a good thing for her because there was a ton of it.

The cheese layer was so thick, I could not see a hint of tomato sauce. When I turned the pizza sideways, the cheese layer was actually thicker than the crust. There were moments when it was actually difficult to swallow. What sauce was there was very ordinary. In other words, this is not the pizza for me. However, if you are down with mozzarella overload, run, don't walk, to get this pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment