Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Growler Wars: Rock Bottom vs. Rock Bottom

Two growlers. Two beers. Two frosted glasses. One winner.



Rock Bottom IPA
The beer has a robust, powerful scent and you can definitely tell that it is a heavyweight. You can taste the hops, but while I enjoyed the beer I also felt that the hops were simply ample. It's missing an off-setting element to create a full sense of flavor.



Rock Bottom White Ale
While the scent of this one is not as strong or pleasing as the IPA, it does feature generous Belgian spice notes that slowly dissipate after first pull. There is a wonderful taste of citrus, even if the flavoring can be a little too subtle at times. Very crisp with a lemony, peppery feel. I could knock back a bunch of these on a sweltering summer day.

The Winner
There were positives and negatives in both of these beers, but overall I believe that Brian McConnell, the brewmaster for King of Prussia chain restaurant Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery, does a terrific job putting together interesting barley-and-hop-based concoctions for the Sears-and-JC Penney crowd. I've been there several times and have often been impressed by the establishment's beer offerings (as well as their Chicken Fried Chicken, which is a little dangerous). I should also say that the reason I hit up two of their growlers on a Monday night was that they are running a weekly promotion, filling your growler - whether it be from Rock Bottom or Chap's Taproom or Whole Foods or wherever - for $6. That, my friends, is what those in the know call "a theft." If I were to pick a winner here, I would go with Rock Bottom White Ale. Like I said, I enjoyed - and found flaws in - both, but felt the White Ale was the more accurate and imaginative representation of what a Belgian white is supposed to be.

Growlers purchased at Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery.

--

The Pizza Project
Just a nibble: http://twitter.com/ThePizzaProject
Single slice: http://www.facebook.com/ThePizzaProject
The full pie: http://thepizzaproject.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment